A flyin’ I shall go…to NJ

I’ve just returned from a quick trip to New Jersey for business with Elfin Kids. It was my first time ever in NJ and the first time in about nine years since I’ve flown. And man, what an experience.

As often happens before I take a trip like that, I didn’t sleep well for fear I’d oversleep and not get to my plane on time. I did…and then I learned how much checking in had changed.

I had to be instructed how to have the freestanding computer spit out the ticket to me—a simple process. Then, going through security, I thought they were going to ask me to disrobe!

And then…they found it.

My pocketknife!

No, it wasn’t in my pocket. It was in my toiletries bag…in the side pocket…zipped up. This made it look all the more suspicious. And I didn’t even know it was there. I carry a pocketknife with me often, as do many Southern males. Yes, I knew that particular knife was missing (I have several), but I have no clue how it got there. Fortunately for me, I wasn’t treated like a terrorist. However, they wouldn’t “keep” it for me and my return trip (it has sentimental value), but they did allow me to run mail it to myself. I’m not sure my pocketknife will make it home via the U.S. Postal system, but I tried it anyway. I guess I’ll know in a few days after the mail runs!

Once finally on the board, I was seated next to Barbara from Bolivar, Tenn. She was traveling with a large group headed to Guatemala on a Mission Trip. We had good airplane conversation and she asked for prayer for the group this week.

I changed planes in Atlanta and an hour later the pilot announced we were on a holding pattern because traffic into NJ was so heavy. Thirty minutes later, he announced we didn’t have enough gas to make it to NJ and so we were going to land in Richmond, Vir. to refuel and continue.

So, originally scheduled to make NJ at 5:20 p.m., I didn’t get there until 6:30. I had made plans earlier to meet my friend Lou Bank at Enterprise at 6:30. On top of that, because it’d been years since I’d flown, it took me nearly 30 minutes to get to the Enterprise shuttle location. Then, I waited and waited. After 45 minutes, a very nice Indian family informed me that Enterprise had closed! I had initially thought that since my flight was late, maybe Lou’s was, too. But with Enterprise closing, I was, in his words “at the mercy of the taxis.”

The remainder of my trip will follow Wednesday—it gets better!


1 Comment

Filed under General

One response to “A flyin’ I shall go…to NJ

  1. Peggy Johnson

    I could tell you about my trip to Valdosta, Ga., via the Atlanta airport but you don’t want to hear. It’s a good thing I knew how to run or I would have missed my flight.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s